I used to feel that taking time out was selfish and that I didn’t deserve it unless I worked myself to the bone. How ridiculous is that?
However, I’ve realised that taking time out is not a luxury – it’s crucial. And you shouldn’t feel guilty about it. This year, I’m making a conscious effort to make time for myself regularly. But here’s why I think ‘me time’ is important for everyone:
1. You can focus on an activity you love whether it’s watching a film, taking photos, going to an exercise class, trying out a new recipe or having a long bath. My favourite activities are blogging, reading, having manicures and going to the gym.
2. If you give yourself a break, you’ll feel refreshed, happier and will be able to handle the pressures of day-to-day life more effectively.
3. Your stress levels will decrease because you’ve given yourself a chance to recharge your batteries.
4. It can make you feel more energised and motivated and less exhausted and run-down. Who can argue with that? I’ll take motivation over exhaustion any day of the week!
5. You can learn to enjoy your own company and get to know yourself better. Increasing your self-awareness means you can find out more about your strengths, weaknesses and skills.
6. You might find yourself sleeping better as ‘me time’ is a good opportunity to gather your thoughts and feelings rather than dwelling on them as soon as your head hits the pillow.
7. You can celebrate yourself by reflecting on past achievements and focus on your goals for the future. How exciting!
In conclusion, it’s completely necessary to take time out, even if it’s only for a few hours a week! You’ll be a greater person for it. I hope this post has encouraged you to indulge in some ‘me time’.